VESSEL IMPROVEMENTS JAN 2013 THRU JUNE 2017
The Chief received approximately $150,000 in upgrades and general maintenance during this time frame under Captain Chris Randels command including a complete remodel of the Galley with installation of a 6 person booth and five new stools offering comfortable seating for 25. We replaced all the wall coverings, upholstery, carpet, curtains, and table tops along with new lighting and installed a play station three with 300 movies and music on twin flat screens for your entertainment. We serviced the galley refrigeration systems and installed a new compressor in main refrigerator along with a new improved galley menu. Both inside heads received a remodeling with new lighting and shower stall refurbishing.
Next we began a total repaint of the vessel from the deck up that took two months and included a spray prime of Pro Line primer and two coats of Awl Grip polyurethane on the main house, Bridge and Bulwarks and Clipper blue trim paint. We also repaired areas of the deck and rocked, primed and top coated the upper and lower decks with Pro Line paint.
The Bridge had a major rewiring including new electrical panels and breakers, Battery and charger, new GPS and Nobel Tec plotter, replacement of entire dash with new gauges and rudder indicator, new radios and a camera system.
Stateroom and open berthing areas needed new lighting and 80% were upgraded along with renovating the forced Air system via new ducting and blowers (work in progress)
DRY DOCK APRIL 2014
We dry docked the Chief at Marine Group on April 17th 2014 for bi annual Coast Guard inspection and passed with no issues, but I submitted a proposal to refasten the vessel of my own accord and they accepted it as follows, from the stern forward every boat rib at 10 feet 8 inches shall be refastened with 4 inch Galvanized fasteners from the water line port to starboard and all visible butt joints where the planks meet. Then we contracted the yard to reef and cock all seems that showed signs of working and boy did that job get big as I had to sign several work orders as more areas were located but we just kept going till everyone was confident the job was completed. While all this was going on the crew was sanding and prepping the hull for several weeks so the yard could paint the hull with primer and two coats of Awl Grip top coat and then paint the boot strip (looks awesome) thanks Marine Group!
While all these other projects were progressing we found time to install new carpet in all berthing areas and staterooms. Install a brand new Anchor winch motor, shaft and lines, brand new bilge pump and associated plumbing, new rudder bearing packing’s, zincs on hull and redo all connections for bonding system and the list goes on. This does not include all improvements to the vessel but does give you a good idea of the effort I am willing to go for safety and productivity. 2015 Improvements. Began with passing our US Coast Guard inspection in April followed by Prep and paint of inside bulwarks and stern bait tank with Awl Grip along with a fresh coat of West on the rails. Refurbish bow bait tank to cure Sardines, new brine pumps for the fish holds (to increase water flow) and the addition of a 300 gallon fresh water tank allowing us 900 gallon capacity plus fresh water maker at 25 gallons per hour. Next big project was installing 4 Air conditioning units in galley bench seats providing ample cooling in all berthing areas and man does it work great!. 2016 improvements. We installed two brand new powdered coated 750 gallon aft fuel tanks and a new custom built 200 scoop Aluminum 3 well bait tank with new Cursh pump, new steering rams and hoses and fire pump. In the galley new beverage cooler, Mp4 player with tons of movies, Sirus radio, new coffee maker and so much more to list. In the bridge we have replaced the old 390 E Westmar sonar with a upgraded model 600 that works much better and also added a brand new fish finder and primary radar.